Thursday 16 April 2009

O MY GOD-FATHER




I decided it was time for me to have a Godfather marathon for the third time.
And I have a lot to say...

Its one of those films that you look at and you wonder how do they pull this off?!?
It is so well written, so well directed and so well acted. Every single frame of that movie is perfect. It's such a joy to behold!
Godfather is one of the reasons i want to make movies!
When I think about the films I envision the look and the music of the film.
The look is very real, defiantly not over the top.
I love that it doesn't have fast editing like in all the movies today that make you nearly epileptic and doesn't let you savor the scenes situation.

You get completely sucked into their world. You almost feel like your apart of the family!
But you are with Micheal Corleone (Al Pacino) the whole time, all the way! I find myself not caring as much for other characters even though Michael is in the wrong most of the time.
The characters are supposed to be doing bad things but you still like them...now that's successful film making!!!
Its just everything storytelling should be and with that combination you get magic.

My favorite scenes are from the Godfather II movie when story goes back into time to the beginning of the Corleone family, how it all started with Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando, older version and with Robert De Niro, younger version). I mean when Vito finally gets revenge, its just unforgettable.
Some of the best scenes in movie history and these are movie moments that stick with me all my life!
What can I say...Everything works!

There have always been arguments on which movies are the best but I can honestly say that my favorite film of the three will have to be a battle between Godfather I and Godfather II.
In my opinion Godfather II feels more psychological than Godfather I but they are both different in their own ways but just as good. Everything really clicks together in Godfather II though.
The third Godfather a lot of people didn't like it but I thought it was just misunderstood.

Fun facts...
There is actually a book called "How to really watch the godfather" to tell you obviously how to watch it and can answer some questions for you that you might not understand.
I would like to get my hands on it because it can be such a complex story even though I've watched it three times I still get confused. If you really want to understand and know the story by heart then lets face it you will have to watch all 3 movies straight at least 5 times and ofcourse purchase the book!

I'm going to leave you now with some of the most memorable quotes...

Don Corleone: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Michael Corleone: Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.
Don Corleone: [seeing Sonny in the mortuary] Look how they massacred my boy.
Hyman Roth: This is the business we chose.
Don Corleone: Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Michael Corleone: I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom. Just my enemies.

Chiao! x

2 comments:

  1. Oh, djöfull hefði ég verið til í þetta maraþon, alltof langt síðan ég tók allar myndirnar í einu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be a little controversial here and admit my dark secret: I hate the Godfather. Absolutely hate it. I've tried watching the first one about five times, but never make it all the way through because I'm so bored...

    I don't really know what to say. I've never met anyone else who feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete